Monday, June 25, 2012

Break time...

Jack Mitchell Spazz Nightwing died 6-24-2012.  RIP Jack :(

He had internal, and external parasites, I didn't notice because of the lack of light in his tank, and because I guess I was a lot more shaken by Zoey's disappearance than I thought.

So now that I don't have any fish I'm going to take a short break from fish keeping.  The weirdest thing in the world right now is saying that I don't have any fish...

I got the new tank for Jack when I realized that he was sick, but I was too late.  I believe that the internal parasites may have (*do not read this next part if you are squeamish*) eaten his swim bladder, and other internal organs.  I know that his swim bladder is no longer there because when he died he did not turn upside-down, or float.

I will upgrade both tanks just like I planned, and get a water test kit before I get any new fish.  I changed my mind about the black blasting media I was going to use, it can be extremely harmful to the fish, so now I think I am going to be using either play sand, or pool filter sand.  I know someone who has offered me some free Java Fern (If you're reading this thank you!!), and the sand should be rather cheap.  I will be getting rocks to grow the fern on.  Once I upgrade, and get the test kit I will make a trip to the pet store for new Bettas, one male, and one female.  This is my current plan, though it will probably change once or twice.  I am also getting a 55 gallon tank at some point.

Post about the 6.6 gallon plan soon!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry about your fish. Maybe you could stock the tanks with a different sort of fish - a small school of something, maybe? It might be fun to see how well you do with a different breed.

    ReplyDelete

Quick facts:
Bettas need at LEAST 3.5 Gallons of water, a filter, a heater, lights, and a thermometer!
Fish are not as easy to keep as most people think.
Guppies are also called "Millions Fish" because they have so many babies!
Bettas, and some other fish have an organ called the "Labyrinth" which allows them to breathe air.

What do you think about that?