Thursday, October 25, 2012

My First Fishless Cycle

Last night I added 5 ppm of Ammonia into the 55 Gallon tank to start the cycle.  I added two small sponges, one from each of my other tanks.  This morning I tested the water and the stats were:
Ammonia - 1 ppm
NitrItes - 0 ppm
NitrAtes - more then 0 ppm, less than 5
pH - 6.6-7.0
These are really good stats for 13 hours after adding ammonia! I just added more Ammonia, and I'm testing the water again.  Right now the stats are:
Ammonia - Close to 8 ppm
NitrItes - 0 ppm
NitrAtes - same as before
pH - off the chart on both tests! (above 8!)

So that's how my first fishless cycle is going now! I'll post more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quick facts:
Bettas need at LEAST 3.5 Gallons of water, a filter, a heater, lights, and a thermometer!
Fish are not as easy to keep as most people think.
Guppies are also called "Millions Fish" because they have so many babies!
Bettas, and some other fish have an organ called the "Labyrinth" which allows them to breathe air.

What do you think about that?